The dental implant is by far one of the biggest breakthroughs to come about in dentistry. Dental implants offer a permanent, completely natural looking solution for one or more missing teeth. For many years, people who lost their teeth had several choices for replacing them that simply weren't as natural looking or long lasting as implants, such as dentures, bridges, and partials. Many denture wearers chose false teeth because they wanted to put an end to their tooth problems, but they didn't realize that they were causing a whole new set of problems. Dentures can cause pain during eating and often don't fit properly, leading to pain and poor nutrition. Long-term denture wearers can also lose jaw bone which causes the classic collapsed, sunken in wrinkled face common to many denture wearers. With today's incredible implant technology, these problems can be a thing of the past. It's no longer necessary to lack confidence in social settings or to have a reduced ability to chew. Dental implants are the answer!
For the first time, the replacement for missing teeth can also be as strong or stronger than the original. Like teeth, dental implants are embedded in the jawbone. The bone actually bonds to the implants. This allows the teeth to be replaced without placing any pressure on the gums, thus eliminating the pain normally associated with dentures. Using dental implants, the upper teeth can be replaced without covering the roof of the mouth. By exposing the roof of the mouth, the former denture wearer can enjoy the subtle tastes and textures of food and drink that they have been missing out on for so many years.
The best news is that the latest breakthrough in implant technology makes implant tooth replacement possible for individuals who previously weren't candidates before. At Riverbend Dental Center, time is taken to make sure that you have the care that is right for you, and tremendous pride is taken to provide a long term, successful outcome once treatment is completed. During your consultation, Dr. Schmidt can let you know if dental implants are the answer for your particular problem.
10 Major Benefits of Dental Implants
The dental implants used by most dentists are root-form implants, which basically means that they are replacement, or substitute tooth roots, used to replace natural tooth roots in areas of the mouth where teeth are missing. Since it replaces the tooth root, it creates the stability needed to have much stronger teeth that stay in place and don't move around.
- You Can Look 10 Years Younger – Dental Implants assist you in looking and feeling younger, because they prevent bone loss. By preventing bone loss that would normally occur with the loss of teeth, your facial structures remain normal and intact. The chances of wrinkling and the look of old age before your time is less likely. Implants prevent the bone loss that would normally occur with the loss of teeth.
- Overall quality of life is enhanced with replacement teeth that look, feel and function more like natural teeth. You will look younger and more attractive which allows you to be even more confident and enjoy smiling, laughing, and talking with others.
- You can now live longer, because you'll get to eat better and prevent malnutrition or stomach problems! Fresh Vegetables, corn, and fruits are back on the menu! You can now eat the foods you like. Also, since your chewing is improved, your digestion will be even better as well!
- More Confidence in social situations. Most of our patients love their new implants, because of their improved appearance, function, comfort and health. When you go out in public, you will never have to cover your mouth with your hand, or put off eating out of fear of a denture popping out or gagging you. Also, the improved appearance of your new smile will have people giving you compliments galore.
- Allows you to relax and not have to worry about your dentures moving around, popping out, or gagging you. You'll never worry about your dentures flying out when you laugh, sneeze, cough, or when you eat. Implants are so securely attached that the fear of them falling out will be eliminated! Like I said before, these will feel like they are your natural teeth.
- Your mouth will be restored as closely as possible to its natural state. By replacing the entire tooth, as well as the tooth root, it is possible to replicate the function of natural teeth, with a strong, stable foundation that allows comfortable biting and chewing.
- Also, nothing in the in the mouth looks or feels false or artificial!
- Increases the amount of enjoyment you get out of eating. You will be able to taste foods more fully. Wearing an upper denture can prevent someone from really tasting food, as the roof of the mouth is covered.
- With implant supported replacement teeth, it is not necessary to cover the roof of the mouth, so you can truly enjoy the taste of foods.
- Improves overall oral health and decrease the risk of oral cancer and heart disease. It is much easier to care for implants of any kind versus dentures. Your chances of bacteria build up, and gum disease decreases when you have implants.
- Eliminate Dentures Adhesives FOREVER! Since implant supported teeth are securely attached to the implants, there is no need for messy dentures adhesives.
- Your other teeth will not be affected because of missing teeth. Since replacing missing teeth with implant supported crowns and bridges do not involve the adjacent natural teeth, they are not compromised or damaged.